Tremmel extends Swans stay

first_img “Since the first day I joined this club, I knew something special was happening,” said the German, who joined the club in 2011. “I have been at a number of clubs, but the feeling here between the players, staff and supporters is different. “I feel very, very good here. Of course, last season I didn’t play the amount of games I had hoped for, but this season has been a completely different story on the pitch for me. “I have played in a lot more games and big matches against the likes of Manchester City, Chelsea, Arsenal and Liverpool to name but a few. “I think it has been good for myself and the supporters. I’ve been able to build momentum with a consecutive run of games this season, while the fans can now see what I am capable of. “I am contributing a lot more, which is great, and when the opportunity came along to sign a new deal here I was very happy to do that. “The club has been on a remarkable rise over the last few years, and it really is a nice story – I was keen to be a part of that story, so the new contract is great news for me because I feel I have a lot more to give this club.” The 34-year-old’s new contract, which includes the option of a further year, comes in the same week as midfielder Leon Britton and defender Garry Monk put pen to paper on extensions with the south Wales club. Tremmel only made a handful of first-team appearances under Brendan Rodgers, but has deputised admirably for Michel Vorm during the current campaign and has helped the Swans reach their first major cup final after keeping two clean sheets in the Capital One Cup semi-final success over European champions Chelsea. Press Associationcenter_img Goalkeeper Gerhard Tremmel has become the latest player to commit his future to Swansea after signing a new two-and-a-half-year deal at the Liberty Stadium.last_img read more

WICB/PCL 4-day cricket… Hurricanes secure first innings lead over Jaguars

first_imgA gutsy seventh-wicket partnership between Jahmar Hamilton and Jacques Taylor did not only rescue the Leeward Islands Hurricanes from a perilous position but ensured the tourists took a marginal first innings lead when play ended on day two of the final round of the West Indies Cricket Board’s Professional Cricket League (PCL) Four-day game at the Guyana National Stadium, Providence, yesterday.Taylor hit a resolute unbeaten 60, while Hamilton constructed a fighting 37 as the visitors closed the day on 255, a first innings lead of 68 runs.Jeremiah Louis was the other not out batsman on 20, when bails were lifted.Hamilton and Taylor had carried out a salvage operation after they had been thrust together with the visitors at 140-6,after the home attack had taken five wickets for 25 runs in the hour following lunch, including Montcin Hodge who topscored with a composed 70.Left-arm seamer Ramon Reifer,who was the chief architect in the collapse during that period,was the most successful of the hosts’ bowlers with 4-47, while off-spinner Steven Jacobs and seamer Clinton Pestano chipped in with 2-52 and 1-51 respectively, as the host were kept in the field all day.The visitors who began the day at 62-0, lost Chesney Hughes who could only manage to add eleven to his overnight 29 before he was taken at the wicket off Pestano,but fellow opener Hodge maintained his intent of frustrating the hosts.Resuming on 32, the right-hander started off slowly but gained momentum as the innings progressed to reach his half-century off 174 balls in company with Kacey Carty.The pair stood firm, and with the pitch seeming to have eased out considerably as compared to the first morning, the three-time champions were denied further success in the first session. At lunch the visitors were 110-1, with Hodge on 59 and Carty on nine.Hodge got the second session going with a square-cut boundary off Permaul,but soon after the tourists’ batting disintegrated in dispiriting fashion, losing five quick wickets.Reifer claimed the first three wickets in the session. Carty was caught behind, while Akeem Saunders was taken at short mid-wicket. Reifer then took the important wicket of Hodge who edged to first slip. Hodge faced 224 balls in an innings that had consumed 154 minutes and counted 12 fours.Jacobs then removed Rakheem Cornwall, bowled between bat and pad without scoring before snatching the wicket of Sherwin Peters.With the hosts’ successfully transferring the pressure, Hamilton and Taylor then combined to consolidate the innings with a steady stand which helped them recover and by the end of the session the visitors had equal the hosts first innings total.Upon resumption they pair started to build a lead before Reifer broke the 71-run stand when he had Hamilton caught at the wicket.Taylor’s fifty came off 107 balls and despite Guyana taking the second new ball, Taylor and Louis continued their defiant batting display until the close. Play resumes today at 10:00hrs.GUYANA FIRST INNINGS 187 Leeward Islands Hurricanes 1st innings (o/n 62-0)M Hodge c Johnson b Reifer 70C Hughes c wkp Bramble b Pestano 40K Carty c wkp Bramble b Reifer 10A Saunders c Paul b Reifer 4J Hamilton c wkp Bramble b Reifer 37R Cornwall b Jacobs 0S Peters c Sub (Motie) b Jacobs 5J Taylor not out 60J Louis not out 20Extras: (w-1, nb-5, lb-3) 9Total: (for seven wickets; 117 overs) 255Fall of wickets: 1-79, 2-115, 3-125, 4-126, 5-129, 6-140, 7-211Bowling: Reifer 25-9-47-4, Pestano 19-4-51-1, Jacobs 18-2-52-2, Paul 15-3-53-0, Adams 12-6-13-0, Permaul 28-15-36-0last_img read more