Hi everyone – wishing you a happy and healthy New Year.As we close the book on 2015, I want to thank you for all of your input as we’ve strived to bring more transparency to state government.I also thank you for your support, as we continue to move Pennsylvania forward.Happy New Year, and my best wishes for 2016! December 31, 2015 SHARE Email Facebook Twitter Holidays, The Blog, Videos Like Governor Tom Wolf on Facebook: Facebook.com/GovernorWolf By: Governor Tom Wolf BLOG: Governor Wolf Wishes Pennsylvanians a Happy New Year (VIDEO)
BRIDGETOWN, Barbados (www.bcacricket.org) – Conde Riley is still the president of Barbados Cricket Association (BCA).Riley, 66, defeated former long-standing president Joel Garner 198 votes to 112 at the 17th Special Meeting at Kensington Oval on Thursday evening.A retired investment banker and former local club cricketer, Riley was first elected president on July 27, 2017.Garner, also aged 66, an iconic former Barbados captain and West Indies fast bowler, was the president from 2007-2017 before stepping aside to take up an appointment as manager of the West Indies team.Conde RileyIt was the third time that Garner and Riley had opposed each other for the much-sought-after position. Garner first triumphed 166-121 on August 14, 2013 and again two years later, 127-101, on August 27 – both at the Lloyd Erskine Sandiford Centre.The other positions contested were all retained by the incumbents.Secretary Gregory Nicholls, with 195 votes, turned back the challenges of newcomer Amanda Reifer (53) and former secretary Anthea Ishmael (43).And the battle for three directors among 11 candidates resulted in Winston Stafford (146), Timothy Boyce (119) and Roland Butcher (115) winning comfortably.The other contestants were Jeff Broomes (82), Calvin Watson (80), Pedro Greaves (68), Hartley Reid (60), Amanda Reifer (54), Anthony Depeiza (31), Anthea Ishmael (24) and Errol Barrow (18).Full Board of Management reads: Conde Riley (president), Calvin Hope (vice-president), Gregory Nicholls (secretary), Jason King (treasurer), Winston Stafford, Timothy Boyce, Roland Butcher, Evril ‘Betty’ Lewis-Browne, Ignatius Marshall.
Newsroom GuidelinesNews TipsContact UsReport an Error The Arizona complex will be open for workouts starting on Monday, although Major League Baseball has recommended that players don’t engage in any organized or group workouts.The facilities at Angel Stadium should be ready to go on Tuesday or Wednesday, after a cleaning, Eppler said.Given the new recommendation from the CDC, though, players might slow the pace of their workouts even further.As for the roster moves, they paint a slightly clearer picture of what the Angels were envisioning once the season does begin.Barria had been a candidate for one of the spots in the rotation, but it now appears the Angels favor Matt Andriese, Dillon Peters, Jose Suarez and Patrick Sandoval. The Angels on Sunday night optioned pitchers Jaime Barria, Taylor Cole, Kyle Keller and Jose Quijada and catcher Anthony Bemboom, even though the season now seems to be even farther away than just a few days ago.The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention released a new recommendation on Sunday that no events with more than 50 people take place for at least two months, which means the soonest the season could begin would be mid May. MLB initially announced a delay of at least two weeks.The Angels are still trying to piece together how they would ride out the hiatus.General manager Billy Eppler said he currently is planning on having 22 players remain in Arizona, 11 in Anaheim and the rest at their offseason at homes. Two players were still undecided as of Sunday night, Eppler said. All of that could be moot, however, because the delay to the season could give time for both Shohei Ohtani and Griffin Canning to be in the rotation, along with Andrew Heaney, Julio Teheran and Dylan Bundy.Ohtani was slated for a start in mid May, because the Angels were going to limit his innings. Canning had a platelet-rich plasma injection in his elbow, and he’s set to be re-evaluated in about two weeks.By optioning Bemboom, the Angels cleared the way for Max Stassi and Jason Castro to be their two catchers. Stassi, who is coming back from hip surgery, was expected to be ready by the scheduled Opening Day.
Newly appointed Tourism Director, Brian Mullis on Tuesday unveiled plans that will be implemented to boost Guyana’s tourism sector.Mullis said that since taking up the new role, he has been focusing on a more advanced and rounded approach to tackling the challenges that are currently affecting the growth and development of the country’s infant tourism sector.Tourism Director Brian MullisHe said emphasis must be placed on enhancing effective lines of communication within the Guyana Tourism Authority (GTA) and other supporting tourism bodies, to elevate Guyana’s place in the global market.“We have to focus on a more progressive and holistic approach to destination development. We cannot continue to engage in ad hoc tourism development,” the new Director of the GTA said.Mullis, is the founder and Chief Executive Officer (CEO) of the non-profit organisation – Sustainable Travel International – through which he has led several high impact projects worldwide.Mullis has also worked with the Dalai Lama on a project in Dharamshala, India, to reduce the negative impact of tourism.He was adamant that the tourism sector income could double in no time, but it needs help from the Private Sector.Mullis, who began his contract as Director on April 16 of this year, was shortlisted from a group of over 30 regional and international applications.He also served two terms on the US Travel and Tourism Advisory Board under the Obama Administration.His appointment was announced by Minister of State Joseph Harmon during a post-Cabinet press briefing in January. With plans to boost the development of a sustainable tourist destination, the appointment of the new GTA Director was essential.Mullis replaces former Director Indranauth Haralsingh, whose tenure ended late last year.However, People’s Progressive Party, former Tourism Minister Irfaan Ali, had expressed disappointment that since 2015, management of the sector has been marked by a lack of “energy and enthusiasm.”According to Ali, the tourism sector holds much potential for Guyana, but there is need for a tourism policy to be guided by a strategic approach that is not limited to developing and marketing Guyana as a product, but caters to partnering with the Private Sector. He urged that that approach be devoid of political considerations.He related that the former Administration had, over the years, developed a number of signature events, which are now either being de-emphasised or ignored by the coalition Government.He opined that the sector has become dormant because the Business Ministry, which has oversight of the tourism sector, lacks the energy and vision necessary to take the industry forward. Noting that the local experience continues to be underestimated, he urged that a national discussion on tourism be held. (Yanalla Dalrymple)