UK will be ‘ruthless’ over quarantine, Johnson says when asked about France

first_img“We will be looking at the data a bit later on this afternoon … looking at exactly where France and other countries are getting to, and you know we can’t be remotely complacent about our own situation.”The French health ministry reported 2,524 new coronavirus infections on Wednesday – the highest since its lockdown restrictions.That has prompted speculation it could be the next European country added to Britain’s list – a move that would affect the large number of British tourists travelling there during English school holidays.For UK holidaymakers, France is the second most-visited country behind first-choice destination Spain. Almost 13 million Britons travelled to France in 2017, data from Statista showed.Britain usually welcomes about 3.5 million visitors from France each year according to the same data, making France the second biggest market for tourists coming into the UK behind the United States. Topics : British Prime Minister Boris Johnson said his government was prepared to be ruthless with even its closest partners over COVID-19 quarantine rules, after he was asked whether France would be removed from the government’s safe-travel list.Britain has in recent weeks imposed a 14-day quarantine period for arrivals from countries like Spain and Belgium, responding to rising infections and fears of a second wave of the virus, having initially declared them safe for travel.”We’ve got to be absolutely ruthless about this, even with our closest and dearest friends and partners around the world,” Johnson told reporters on a visit to Northern Ireland.last_img read more

Matteo Guendouzi tells Arsenal board he wants to leave during meeting

first_imgMatteo Guendouzi was told by Neal Maupay that he needed to learn humility (Getty Images)More: FootballRio Ferdinand urges Ole Gunnar Solskjaer to drop Manchester United starChelsea defender Fikayo Tomori reveals why he made U-turn over transfer deadline day moveMikel Arteta rates Thomas Partey’s chances of making his Arsenal debut vs Man CityArsenal are also understood to be open to selling Guendouzi, but the Gunners will demand at least €40 million (£36m) for the 21-year-old.When asked about the decision to drop Guendouzi after Arsenal beat Southampton, Arteta insisted that the move was not because he wanted to send a warning to the rest of the squad.‘I don’t like to make any decisions to send messages,’ said the Arsenal manager.‘The messages that I send to the team or individually are very open and I’m clear with how I feel. Winning is the most important thing and when you win, everything is fine.‘It was squad management. Whatever issue we have internally, I will resolve it in a private way. I explained that I cannot explain and that’s it.’Follow Metro Sport across our social channels, on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram. For more stories like this, check our sport page. Comment Matteo Guendouzi tells Arsenal board he wants to leave during meeting Advertisement Metro Sport ReporterFriday 26 Jun 2020 9:01 amShare this article via facebookShare this article via twitterShare this article via messengerShare this with Share this article via emailShare this article via flipboardCopy link12.8kSharescenter_img Advertisement Matteo Guendouzi grabbed Neal Maupay by the throat after Arsenal’s defeat to Brighton (BT Sport)And according to L’Equipe, Guendouzi has now informed Arsenal that he would be willing to leave the club at the end of the season.The report claims that Guendouzi does not have a bad relationship with Arteta but the French midfielder is struggling to accept playing fewer minutes than he did during Unai Emery’s reign.Out of Arteta’s 18 games in charge of Arsenal so far, Guendouzi has been given just eight starts, with only four of those being in the Premier League.Under Emery this season, Guendouzi had started every Premier League game before the Spaniard was sacked at the end of November. Matteo Guendouzi has reportedly told Arsenal he is willing to leave the club (AMA/Getty Images)Matteo Guendouzi has told Arsenal’s hierarchy that he is open to leaving the club this summer during a disciplinary meeting this week, according to reports in France.The 21-year-old was forced to answer to Arsenal’s board following his clash with Neal Maupay during the Gunners’ 2-1 defeat to Brighton last Saturday.Guendouzi is understood to have called Brighton’s players ‘s***’ during the match, while he is also said to have told his opponents that he earns ‘more than they ever will’.Maupay, who had his throat grabbed by Guendouzi at the full-time whistle, said after the game that the Arsenal midfielder ‘needs to learn what humility is’.AdvertisementAdvertisementADVERTISEMENTGuendouzi was subsequently dropped from the squad by Mikel Arteta for Arsenal’s 2-0 win over Southampton on Thursday evening.last_img read more