Metro Sport ReporterThursday 21 Mar 2019 9:15 pmShare this article via facebookShare this article via twitterShare this article via messengerShare this with Share this article via emailShare this article via flipboardCopy link98Shares Comment Lucas Torreira’s dad reveals he almost moved to Napoli prior to Arsenal switch Advertisement Lucas Torreira almost joined Napoli in the summer according to his father (Getty Images)Lucas Torreira’s father has revealed that his son was close to joining Napoli last summer only to end up signing for Arsenal instead.Arsenal will face Napoli in the Europa League quarter-finals next month and the Uruguayan is likely to be a prominent player in the tie having emerged as a key player for Unai Emery’s side since making a £22m move from Sampdoria after the World Cup.Torreira’s all-action displays in the middle of Arsenal’s midfield has endeared him to the club’s supporters while he has also popped up with the odd important goal including in the 4-2 win over Spurs in the north London derby back in December.AdvertisementAdvertisementHowever, according to his dad Ricardo, he almost stayed in Italy rather than moving to London as a deal with Napoli was ‘very close’.ADVERTISEMENTSpeaking to Radio Marte, Torreira senior said: ‘It’s true, Lucas was very close to Napoli. There were negotiations with Napoli, but something strange happened, and you know in the transfer market things can change from one moment to the next.More: FootballRio Ferdinand urges Ole Gunnar Solskjaer to drop Manchester United starChelsea defender Fikayo Tomori reveals why he made U-turn over transfer deadline day moveMikel Arteta rates Thomas Partey’s chances of making his Arsenal debut vs Man City‘Negotiations are long and complicated processes, so it can happen than they don’t go the way we expected. There was this opportunity to go to England and Lucas took it, so I have to say he is happy at Arsenal.‘Obviously, Lucas is very fond of Italian football, where he grew up, and might return to Italy in future. You can never say never, so it’s possible he could come back to this marvellous country and, why not to Napoli or another club that makes an offer?’Torreira started his professional career in Italy with Pescara whom he joined from Montevideo Wanderers in his homeland before moving to Sampdoria in 2015. The 23-year-old spent a season on loan at Pescara before establishing himself at Sampdoria in the 2016-17 season.Napoli are regarded as slight favourites to triumph over Arsenal in the Europa League quarter-finals after dropping down from the Champions League while they are currently second only to Juventus in the Serie A table.More: Arsenal FCArsenal flop Denis Suarez delivers verdict on Thomas Partey and Lucas Torreira movesThomas Partey debut? Ian Wright picks his Arsenal starting XI vs Manchester CityArsene Wenger explains why Mikel Arteta is ‘lucky’ to be managing Arsenal Advertisement
Chelsea can keep improving after winning the Premier League title and will try to retain their best players, says manager Antonio Conte.The Blues became champions of England for a sixth time with a 1-0 victory over West Brom on Friday.Conte, 47, has been linked with the vacant Inter Milan job, while there is speculation over the future of striker Diego Costa and playmaker Eden Hazard.”If you can continue with these players you can improve a lot,” said Conte.The former Juventus and Italy boss led Chelsea, who finished 10th last year, to the title in his first season in charge.Reports in Italy suggest Chinese-backed Serie A club Inter are prepared to offer Conte £250,000 a week if he leaves Stamford Bridge one season into a three-year deal. The Italian said he and his squad had only “started to do our work”.”Now they know my idea, I know them, the characteristics of my players, and we can improve,” he added.Belgium international Hazard, 26, has been linked with Real Madrid, while Spain forward Costa, 28, was left out of a game at Leicester in January after a disagreement with a fitness coach, amid widespread reports of interest from Chinese clubs.”The club want to fight to win every competition – we have the same ambition,” said Conte.”For this reason we try to keep the best players.” Chelsea have two Premier League fixtures remaining – against Watford and Sunderland – before facing Arsenal in the FA Cup final at Wembley on 27 May.Conte’s speculation ‘more rumours than reality’Guus Hiddink took interim charge of Chelsea last season, with the club 16th in the Premier League and one point above the relegation zone following the departure of manger Jose Mourinho.The Dutchman, who led the side to a 10th-place finish, met with Conte at the end of that season.Hiddink described the Italian as “a man who had already achieved a lot before he came to Chelsea” and that winning the title was a “confirmation of his attitude, professionalism and energy”.On speculation linking Conte with a move to Italy, Hiddink told BBC Radio 5 live’s Sportsweek: “There are always rumours coming up but I think the club is very stable. It is a huge club to work for, perfect circumstances and very ambitious people everywhere. “It’s more rumour than reality.”Former England and Arsenal striker Ian Wright: “The way he has got players playing, Victor Moses, Willian etc is incredible – he’s kept the whole squad happy.”There’s been no red cards, discipline has been very good, and the amount of consistency through not changing players so often has kept the players together.”Conte has also got that assured calmness – not so much on the pitch but behind the scenes.”Former England and Newcastle striker Alan Shearer: “Antonio Conte’s passion and enthusiasm has filtered down to all his players all season. “The big change was the shift in the system after they lost to Liverpool and were beaten 3-0 by Arsenal at the Emirates. They were playing four at the back and it wasn’t working at all so he had to do something.”They went to a back three, changed a couple of players, and then won 13 games on the spin, which was an incredible turnaround for a team that had struggled.”They’ve certainly benefited without being in Europe by making only 38 line-up changes, the fewest in the league, so they’ve used that to their advantage.”There is a case for mentioning all their players but I’ve got to pick out Cesar Azpilicueta, who has played every minute of every league game and turned in an eight or nine out of 10 performance every time.”
OCEANPORT – New Jersey Library Association (NJLA) officials presented $1,942 checks to three Monmouth County libraries – Oceanport, Sea Bright and Monmouth Beach – that were damaged last year during Super Storm Sandy.During a ceremony at the Oceanport Library last month, NJLA Executive Director Patricia Tumulty and NJLA President Eileen Palmer gave the checks to Monmouth County library officials, including Freeholder Lillian G. Burry, library liaison, and Monmouth County Library Commission Chair Renee B. Swartz.Monmouth County Library Board Chairwoman Renee B. Swartz, Freeholder Lillian Burry, Oceanport Branch Manager Katie Kenny, Sea Bright Library Director Joan Walsh and Monmouth Beach Library Director Judith Bakos.“We are touched by all the people who donated to our libraries damaged by Sandy, and we thank them for their generosity,” Burry said. “We all know how much the residents in Sea Bright, Monmouth Beach and Oceanport value their libraries, and the money will be put to good use.”Burry noted that many of the Monmouth County library branches and member libraries were able to act as “ports in the storm” during Sandy, offering residents a warm and dry refuge with a place to charge their electronic devices and use public computers.Swartz emphasized the Monmouth County library’s increasing role in the community. “Hurricane Sandy was yet another example of how the library in recent years has evolved and expanded, so that the library now functions as a true community center for residents,” Swartz saud.Palmer said the NJLA received calls from people all over the country – and from as far away as Scotland – who wished to help New Jersey libraries damaged by Super Storm Sandy. As a result, the NJLA took in more than $13,000 in donations and formed the Save Our New Jersey Libraries fund, according to Tumulty.The money raised is being equally distributed to the seven libraries throughout the state that were damaged by the storm. Each library will receive $1,942.Oceanport branch manager Katie Kenny, Monmouth Beach Library director Judith Bakos and Sea Bright Library director Joan Walsh accepted the checks.The Oceanport Library, which was flooded with almost 2 feet of water from the Shrewsbury River during Sandy, was closed for renovation for almost nine months, and reopened on July 1.The library on Ocean Avenue in Sea Bright was severely damaged by the storm’s tidal surge, but borough officials are currently renovating the building.The Monmouth Beach Library is now operating out of a room in the Monmouth Beach Borough Hall until a decision is more about a permanent placement.
All the goals have been scored in the second stanza as each team traded goals in the opening ten minutes of play before Massimo scored at 12:46 to put Canada Black up 3-2. The winner of this game finishes in seventh. FORT ST. JOHN, B.C. – Russia snuck past the Fin’s 5-4 on Friday afternoon at the North Peace Arena in placement action.The Russian’s got on the board first thanks to Ilya Safonov who was set up by Sergei Alkhimov and Matvey Guskov at 8:39 of the first. Egor Afanasyev made it 2-0 after a great individual effort at 17:08 of the first frame.The Fin’s cut the lead in half courtesy Anton Lundell 1:34 into the middle stanza after finishing a play between him and Santeri Hatakka. Antti Saarela tied the score at 2-2 just before the halfway point of the second period. Patrick Puistola had the lone assist. The Russian’s took the lead back at 15:00 after Danilla Khulapov found the net after being set up by Egor Afanasyev and Aleksei Goriachev. Ilya Nikolaev made it 4-2 2:59 later. Daniil Gutik and Vasily Podkolzin were the setup duo. Russia skated into the second intermission with a 4-2 lead.- Advertisement -Finland got it to 4-3 1:44 in the period after Kalle Loponen scored on the powerplay. Antti Saarela and Henri Nikkanen had the helpers. Russia restored the two-goal lead to 5-3 almost six minutes later thanks to Matvey Guskov’s second point of the game. Sergei Alkhimov had the lone assist. A minute and four seconds after that Oskari Oksanen made it a one-goal game at 5-4 for Russia. Anton Lindell had the lone helper on the fourth Finnish tally.Goaltenders for Russia and Finland faced a total of 66 shots.In Dawson Creek, Team Canada Black beat the Swedes 4-2 in their placement game.Advertisement