Speaking to Triple M, the Knights legend voiced his skepticism at the idea, as revealed by The Daily Telegraph, while also giving insight into how the Newcastle community would likely react.”It won’t happen,” Johns told Triple M’s The Grill Team.“Knowing the community up there. They’d set NRL headquarters on fire first.”The NRL currently hold ownership over the Newcastle club and are desperate to sell them to private owners after back-to-back wooden spoons.
BRIDGETOWN, Barbados (CMC):Twenty20 captain Darren Sammy has spoken of his disappointment at not being offered a retainer contract by the West Indies Cricket Board (WICB).The former Test captain was chopped from the 15-man list announced recently by the WICB for the period running from October 1 last year to September 30, 2016.”It’s the first time in the last seven or eight years that I’ve not been given a retainer by the WICB. It’s quite disappointing, but cricket has not been about Darren Sammy, it’s for the West Indian people,” Sammy was quoted as telling a Pakistan cricket website.”I am disappointed that I never received a contract from the WICB, but it’s not my decision. I’ve played the two limited-overs formats for West Indies on a regular basis and performed the role I was asked. It’s very disappointing, particularly as I am the Twenty20 captain, but life goes on.”Sammy has been a key figure in West Indies cricket over the last five years and played a significant role in leading the Caribbean side to the capture of the Twenty20 World Cup in Sri Lanka four years ago.He also captained the side in 30 of his 38 Tests before retiring two years ago after being sacked in favour of Denesh Ramdin.Sammy has continued to play the shorter formats, however, and was part of the one-day squad for the Cricket World Cup in Australia and New Zealand last February.The 32-year-old, who now campaigns extensively in the various domestic T20 leagues across the globe, said that he remained committed to representing West Indies in the shorter formats.”I guess they (WICB) are more focused on Test cricket, which I’ve retired from, but I’m fully committed to the one-day and Twenty20 format for West Indies if selected,” Sammy said.”Looking back, when I was growing up, I only dreamed of playing for West Indies, but now I can travel the world and play for so many different franchise teams.”He added: “I’ve had some fantastic times playing for West Indies. I enjoy playing for West Indies and it is still my number-one priority.
The 2015 Ladies Golf Fore the Cure is being held this weekend at the Lakepoint Golf and Country Club. The event will begin on Friday evening at 6 p.m. with a nine hole practice round, and that will be followed by a martini social.The following day there will be a competitive round of golf for all that have registered starting at 10 a.m. Saturday will also consist of a dinner following the round, and a number of prizes will also be handed out.The cost to take part is $80 for members, and $100 for non members. The proceeds raised will be going towards the fight against breast cancer.- Advertisement -Those wanting to register can call Lakepoint at 250-785-5566.
0Shares0000The Al-Wakrah Stadium, which looks impressive in promotional images, should be completed this year, Qatari officials say © Qatar 2022 committee/AFP/FileDOHA, Qatar, Feb 6 – The Qatar World Cup venue designed by celebrated Iraqi-British architect Zaha Hadid will be finished by the end of 2018, officials responsible for the project said Tuesday.The 40,000 capacity, $575 million Al-Wakrah Stadium is expected to be one of two further 2022 venues completed this year. Building work on the 60,000 Al-Bayt stadium is also expected to be completed by December.If so, it will mean Qatar — which has said it is spending almost $500 million a week on World Cup-related projects — will have built almost half of its proposed eight venues with four years still to go to the tournament.The Khalifa International Stadium, also the venue for the 2019 World Athletics Championships, was completed last year.“We will be finishing hopefully by the end of this year and then ready to use,” Thani Al-Zarraa, Al-Wakrah’s project manager told AFP.One of the major tasks ahead is to fit the stadium’s distinctive retractable roof — meant to resemble the sails of a traditional dhow fishing boat — comprised of some 1,400 pieces, which will be shipped to Qatar from Italy.Once completed, 2022 World Cup officials will trial the stadium with “test matches” including potential international friendlies, said Zarraa.He said the design would also make it “one of the loudest stadiums” in 2022.“All the ambience and cheering will hit the roof and come back into the stadium,” he said.Al-Wakrah, some 15 kilometres south of the capital Doha, will be used during the World Cup for games up to and including quarter-finals.After the World Cup, the capacity will be reduced to 20,000.It was one of Hadid’s last major designs before her death in March 2016, aged 65.Major works by Hadid include the Guangzhou Opera House in China, the Bergisel ski jump and the aquatics centre at the 2012 London Olympics.Zarraa said the stadium would “be one of her (Hadid’s) legacies”.The project has not been without controversy.Qatar has come under intense pressure for its human rights record and treatment of its huge migrant labour force, numbering some two million, since winning the right to host the 2022 World Cup.Hadid took successful legal action when it was claimed she had no concern for the plight of labourers in Qatar helping build Al-Wakrah.She also had to defend claims that the stadium’s design was offensive and resembled female genitalia.Baghdad-born Hadid called such criticism “embarrassing”.Qatar is building eight stadiums for the World Cup, although FIFA has yet to decide on a final number of venues and could instruct the gas-rich Gulf state to build a ninth.0Shares0000(Visited 1 times, 1 visits today)
“We don’t have a first or a second team. All we have is a strong squad of talented players and each of them deserves to play. We will mix up the squad and have one team each enjoying 45 minutes and give everyone a chance to play,” Kerr pointed out.“We did well against Everton last year and I was sad because I disappointed Joachim (Oluoch) and Jeconiah (Uyoga) who didn’t play but this time, everyone in the squad deserves to play,” the tactician added.Gor Mahia head coach Dylan Kerr reacts on the touchline during his side’s Kenyan premier League clash against Mathare United on April 29, 2018 at the Kenyatta Stadium in Machakos. PHOTO/Raymond MakhayaThe British coach has been tinkering with his squad this entire season, fielding what is deemed as his strongest 11 in continental football and playing another different team in the Kenyan Premier League.The gamble has had good success with Gor making it into the group stages of the CAF Confederation Cup while the team playing in the league has sustained an unbeaten run, leading the standings with a five point gap and two matches at hand.“We have not had much of a choice because of how crazy our fixtures have been. Yes there has been criticism of how we have fielded players but did we really have a choice? I have a group of very talented players and all deserve to play,” Kerr further added.He expects a tough match from Hull and he is excited at matching up against his country-mate Nigel Adkins, the Hull City head coach.“I have known Nigel for long and honestly I am excited to be playing against him. He is a good chap and knows his football very well. I have been made to understand that they have also been watching and analyzing our games so definitely we know they are taking this match seriously,” Kerr added.-Hull name strong squad-Gor Mahia head coach Dylan Kerr congratulates his players after their KPL SUper Cup win over AFC Leopards in Nakuru on January 28, 2017. PHOTO/Timothy OlobuluHull land in the country on Friday at 9:45pm and Adkins has named a strong travelling team of 18 who will play on Sunday.Among the notable faces in the squad include former Manchester United forward Will Kean and ex-Tottenham Hotspur man Fraizer Campbell. However, PFA Championship player of the season Harry Wilson, on loan from Liverpool FC will not travel with the squad.Polish winger Kamil Grosicki has also not been included in the final travelling squad as well as Nigerian midfielder Ola Aina whose loan spell from Chelsea has come to an end.Hull finished 18th out of 24 teams in the Championship after gathering 49 points off 46 games.Hull team to KenyaDavid Marshall, Callum Burton, Dan Batty, Jarrod Bowen, Fraizer Campbell, Billy Chadwick, Max Clark, Adam Curry, Nouha Dicko, Evandro, Brandon Fleming, Tyler Hamilton, Will Keane, Stephen Kingsley, Robbie McKenzie, Tom Powell, Kevin Stewart, Jon Toral.0Shares0000(Visited 3 times, 1 visits today) 0Shares0000Gor Mahia head coach Dylan Kerr says every player will play agains Hull City.NAIROBI, Kenya, May 11- Gor Mahia head coach Dylan Kerr has assured all his players that they will have a bite of the Hull City cake when the two sides clash in an international friendly at the Moi Sports Centre Kasarani on Sunday.Just like he did against Everton in Tanzania last year, Kerr notes that all players deserve the opportunity to play in the iconic friendly tie after proving their worth in training.
Arsenal midfielder Aaron Ramsey has conceded Chelsea are the best team in the Premier League this season.The Gunners were held to a 0-0 draw by Jose Mourinho’s side at their Emirates home on Sunday.That leaves the Blues needing just five points from as many matches to wrap up the title.When asked by Arsenal.com if Chelsea are worthy champions, Ramsey said: “Yes I think so.“If that’s the case and they go on to win, they’ve only lost twice this season, so their consistency has been the best and that’s what you need.“They’ve definitely been the best team in the league.” 1 Aaron Ramsey in action for Arsenal against Chelsea
Charlie McConalogue TDFianna Fáil Deputy Charlie McConalogue has called on the HSE to immediately reopen 6 beds at Carndonagh Community Hospital.According to the local TD, staffing shortages have resulted in the continued closure of 6 of 30 community beds in Carndonagh and it’s having a ripple effect across local health services.“These bed closures were initially supposed to be a short-term, when the hospital was experiencing staff shortages in April last due to sick leave and annual leave. But more than 5 months on, the beds are still closed,” explained Deputy McConalogue. “At the end of May the HSE committed to promptly hiring four additional full time staff from the panel of existing home help workers to work as multi task attendants. This was a sensible approach, providing the hospital with additional trained staff who are experienced carers, and providing those carers with career profession opportunities.But despite this commitment and repeated promises from the HSE, the beds are still closed.“It is unacceptable that Carndonagh Community Hospital has been forced to shut down 6 beds for such a long period of time. The hospital plays a vital role in health service provision in the community and in taking pressure off acute hospital services in Donegal. It must be fully supported by the HSE. It provides respite care for people with disabilities, rehabilitation services for patients discharged from Letterkenny Hospital, assessment for patients who need to be monitored over a period of time as well as long term care to many patients. It makes no sense that the HSE is still not allowing the hospital to operate at full capacity, particularly given that 25 beds are still closed at Letterkenny General Hospital as a result of flood damage.“I am again calling on the HSE to follow through on their commitment to reopen these beds immediately. The additional staff required at Carndonagh Community Hospital must be recruited immediately so that the facility can operate at full capacity and continue to play an important role in our local health services,” said Deputy McConalogue. ANGER AS SIX BEDS STILL CLOSED AT CARNDONAGH HOSPITAL was last modified: September 30th, 2013 by John2Share this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:bed closuresCarndonagh HospitalCharlie McConalogue
The possibility that toxic barrels of waste may have been dumped off the Donegal coast is to be raised at the next meeting of the British Irish Association.The issue has been brought to the attention of Junior Minister Dinny McGinley by the newly-formed Sea Dump Donegal Campaign group.Chairman Aodan Gallchoir had a meeting with Minister for State McGinley in recent days to discuss the matter. Deputy McGinley confirmed he had been aware of the issue and had actually raised it in the Dail more than 20 years ago.However he said he was prepared to listen to any new evidence which may have arise since.The Sea Dump Donegal Campaign believe there is a direct between the levels of cancer in Donegal and claims that toxic barrels were dumped off the coast of Donegal in the 1950s.Minister McGinley has advised the SDD campaign to have the issue raised at the British Irish Association which will meet next in March. “It was historic in my opinion because for the first time ever this issue would be given the first influential push to the British and Irish Governments.“However between now and March my aim is to get the first ever photograph of the infamous barrels. If there are anyone out there with the equipment to do so, please contact me on email@example.com,” said Mr Gallchoir. DONEGAL’S TOXIC BARREL ISSUE TO BE RAISED AT BRITISH IRISH ASSOCIATION was last modified: February 6th, 2013 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:cancerMinister Dinny McGinleySea Dump Donegal
AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREWalnut’s Malik Khouzam voted Southern California Boys Athlete of the Week160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! Record: “Tu No Tienes Alma” by Alejandro Sanz. Album: “Cantando Historias” by Ivan Lins. Urban album: “Barrio Fino” by Daddy Yankee. Rock song: “Nada Valgo Sin Tu Amor” by Juanes. Song: “Tu No Tienes Alma” by Alejandro Sanz. Grupero album: Two winners: “Loca de Amar” by Ana Barbara and “Para el Pueblo” by Oscar de la Rosa y la Mafia. Male pop album: “Todo el Ano” by Obie Bermudez. Regional Mexican song: “Aire” by Intocable. New artist: Bebe for album “Malo.” Tropical song: “Las Avispas” by Juan Luis Guerra. Banda album: “En Vivo” by Banda el Recodo de Cruz Lizarraga. Norteno album: “Diez” by Intocable. Music video: “Volverte a Ver” by Juanes. Female pop album: Escucha Laura Pausini. The following awards were presented before Thursday’s night telecast: Christian album (Portuguese language): “Deixa O Teu Rio Me Levar Ao Vivo,” Soraya Moraes. Brazilian contemporary pop album: “Incite,” Lenine. Brazilian rock album: “Tamo Ai Na Atividade,” Charlie Brown Jr. Samba/pagode: “Brasilatinidade,” Martinho da Vila. MPB (Musica Popular Brasileira): “Cantando Historias,” Ivan Lins. Romantic music: “Pra Sempre Ao Vivo No Pacaembu,” Roberto Carlos. Brazilian roots/Regional Album: “MTV Ao Vivo,” Ivete Sangalo. Brazilian song (Portuguese language): “Ninguem Faz Ideia,” Lenine & Ivan Santos, songwriters (Lenine, artist). Folk album: “One Blood Una Sangre,” Lila Downs. Tango album: “Bajo Cero,” Pablo Ziegler, Quique Sinesi & Walter Castro. Flamenco album: “Aguadulce,” Tomatito. Latin jazz album: “Bebo De Cuba,” Bebo Valdes. Christian album (Spanish language): “Para Ti,” Juan Luis Guerra. Latin children’s album: “Lina Luna,” Lina Luna. Classical album: “Riberas,” Cuarteto De Cuerdas Buenos Aires & Paquito D’Rivera (Andrea Merenzon, producer). Salsa album: “Valio La Pena,” Marc Anthony. Merengue album: “Saborealo,” Elvis Crespo. Contemporary tropical album:”El Rock De Mi Pueblo,” Carlos Vives. Traditional tropical album: “Ahora Si!,” Cachao. Ranchero album: “Mexico En La Piel,” Luis Miguel. Tejano album: “Polkas, Gritos y Acordeones,” David Lee Garza, Joel Guzman & Sunny Sauceda. Instrumental album: “Coral,” David Sanchez. Pop album by a duo or group with vocal: “Sinverguenza,” Bacilos. Rock solo vocal album: “Mi Sangre,” Juanes. Rock album by a group or duo: “Con Todo Respeto,” Molotov. Alternative music album: “Street Signs,” Ozomatli. Singer-songwriter album: “Resucitar,” Gian Marco. Engineered album: “MTV Unplugged,” Gustavo Borner, engineer. Producer: Gustavo Santaolalla. – Associated Press
Popular postman Anthony McGarvey was given a fond farewell by staff at An Post, Letterkenny.Anthony has retired after 40 years of service in An Post.Staff in Letterkenny gathered to deliver a bon voyage to a man who certainly put a stamp on things! Picture special: Popular postman Anthony McGarvey retires after 40 years was last modified: October 17th, 2017 by Chris McNultyShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:An PostAnthony McGarveyletterkenny