to go further Organisation Help by sharing this information November 19, 2020 Find out more News September 13, 2011 – Updated on January 20, 2016 Radio Era Baru forcibly closed by police August 12, 2020 Find out more News Red alert for green journalism – 10 environmental reporters killed in five years Follow the news on Indonesia President Susilo Bambang YudhoyonoMr. Patrialis AkbarMinister of Law and Human RightsParis, 7 September 2011Subject: Request to quash Gatot Machali’s sentenceDear President Yudhoyono,Dear Minister Akbar,Reporters Without Borders, an international organization that defends media freedom, would like to draw your attention to the disproportionate sentence that was passed yesterday on Radio Era Baru manager Gatot Machali.Concluding a prosecution that began in March, a panel of three judges in Batam (in Riau province) sentenced Mr. Machali to six months in prison, a suspended sentence of another year in prison and a fine of 50 million rupees (5,800 US dollars) on charges of broadcasting without permission and disrupting neighbouring frequencies. Mr. Machali has said he intends to appeal.There are many reasons for thinking that Radio Era Baru and its manager were in fact prosecuted for political reasons.Firstly, the Indonesian authorities have refused to grant the station a licence since 2007. It was forbidden to broadcast by the Ministry of Communication and Information Technology’s frequency monitoring centre in Batam (Balai Monitor Frekuensi) on 28 March 2008, although it had complied with all technical requirements, including those specified by the Riau province branch of the Indonesian Broadcasting Commission (KPID), which gave the station permission to broadcast at the time of its launch.Secondly, the problems that Radio Era Baru has been encountering since 2007 seem to be a result of the nature of some of the programmes it broadcasts. It often denounces human rights violations in China, including violations of the rights of Uyghurs, Tibetans and members of the banned religious movement Falun Gong.According to the station’s president, Raymond Tan, citing the leaked copy of a letter from the Chinese embassy in Indonesia, the prosecution is the result of direct pressure by the Chinese government on the Indonesian authorities with the aim of preventing the station from broadcasting its programmes.For these reasons, we deplore the harsh sentence imposed on Mr. Machali. It violates Indonesia’s laws and Constitution, which says in articles 28-E-3 and 28-F that each person has the right to freely “express his opinions” and to “spread information via all kinds of channels available.” We therefore call on you to:• Quash the Mr. Machali’s conviction, which is disproportionate and contrary to the fundamental principles and rights of freedom of expression.• Authorize Radio Era Baru to resume broadcasting under the same conditions that prevailed at the time of its launch in 2005.• Adopt measures to ensure that no external political pressure can be put on the Indonesian media.We thank you in advance for the attention you give to these requests.Sincerely,Jean-François JulliardSecretary-General Receive email alerts August 21, 2020 Find out more Melanesia: Facebook algorithms censor article about press freedom in West Papua News Reporters Without Borders condemns today’s forcible closure of Radio Era Baru by police and frequency monitoring officials although last week’s conviction of its manager on a charge of broadcasting without permission and disrupting neighbouring frequencies is still the subject of an appeal.The closure of the station, located in Batam (in Riau province), was carried by at least 30 officials including members of the military police and local police and representatives of the Communication and Information Ministry (Kominfo/Dirjen Postel), the Frequency Monitoring Agency (Balmon) and the Riau branch of the Indonesian Broadcasting Committee (KPID Kepri).They arrived at Radio Era Baru at around 11 a.m., forced the padlock on the door of the transmitting room and, despite the protests of the journalists present, removed transmitting equipment, thereby preventing the station from continuing to broadcast.Manager Gatot Machali explained to the police that last week’s ruling by a Batam court was not final because an appeal has been filed, but they paid no attention.Reporters Without Borders calls on the local authorities to respect the judicial proceedings still under way, and reiterates its appeal to the government to protect freedom of the media and information in Indonesia. IndonesiaAsia – Pacific RSF_en On eve of the G20 Riyadh summit, RSF calls for public support to secure the release of jailed journalists in Saudi Arabia ——————–9. september 2011 – Six months in jail for radio station manager who covered rights violations in ChinaReporters Without Borders strongly condemns the sentence of six months in prison and the suspended sentence of another year in prison that a court in the city of Batam passed yesterday on Gatot Machali, the manager of Batam-based Radio Era Baru, on a charge of broadcasting without permission and disrupting neighbouring frequencies.Another three months will be added to Machali’s jail sentence if he is unable to pay the fine of 50 million rupees (5,800 US dollars) which the court also imposed. Reporters Without Borders wrote today to President Susilo Bambang Yudhoyono and Minister of Law and Human Rights Patrialis Akbar asking them to intercede on behalf of Machali, whose conviction is believed to be the result of Chinese government pressure over the station’s broadcasts in Chinese about human rights violations in China: IndonesiaAsia – Pacific News
Limerick Ladies National Football League opener to be streamed live Facebook SoccerLimerick FCNewsSportBarrett appointed as new Limerick FC bossBy John Keogh – January 15, 2018 4435 Linkedin Limerick manager Tommy Barrett has prepared the team for the trip for Dundalk despite ongoing rumours surrounding the club’s future. Diarmuid Greene / SPORTSFILELIMERICK FC have named Tommy Barrett as the club’s new manager, replacing Neil McDonald in the role.Barrett has enjoyed success as Limerick’s U-19 manager and has now been promoted to the top job. McDonald left the club ahead of the new season to join English side Scunthorpe United.Sign up for the weekly Limerick Post newsletter Sign Up Barrett is an ex Limerick FC player and also spent time at Shamrock Rovers and Athlone town during his career.McDonald’s former assistant, Eric Kinder, has overseen First team training for the past week with the assistance of Joe Gamble.It is not immediately clear if Kinder and Gamble have a role within Barrett’s backroom team, which he is expected to name later in the week.Limerick have been beset by problems in the off-season. The club has struggled to bring in players since securing their top flight status, with only Cian Coleman, Daniel Kearns and Danny Morrissey coming in.Only last week, Limerick FC Chairman, Pat O’Sullivan, confirmed that he is looking to sell some, or all, of his share of the League of Ireland club as he can no longer bankroll the operation.“I have been saying for quite some time that this was not possible for me in the long-term,” O’Sullivan admitted.“We have reached a point now where we have to firmly address this particular issue because some clubs have become much stronger and given the structures of our league significant finances are required of any club that wants to stay in competition with the top of the table.“At this moment in time, I am in discussion with a number of parties with a view to selling an interest in the club. That may mean 100%, but certainly, it will ensure a majority share.“Our vision is to go to Europe, but we need to fill that gap,” he added. “Hence we need to have investors, to include outside investors or strong local commercial support.”Limerick FC begin their build up on the field this Saturday when they play Galway United in a pre-season friendly at UL. Kick-off for the game is at 6:30pm. RELATED ARTICLESMORE FROM AUTHOR WhatsApp TAGSGreatest League in the Worldleague of irelandlimerickLimerick FCMarkets FieldPost SportsoccerSuper BluesTommy Barrett Twitter Print Predictions on the future of learning discussed at Limerick Lifelong Learning Festival Advertisement Previous article#BREAKING Limerick singer Dolores O’Riordan dies in LondonNext articleLimerick council to install CCTV camera in Thomondgate John Keoghhttp://www.limerickpost.ie Email Limerick Artist ‘Willzee’ releases new Music Video – “A Dream of Peace” Limerick’s National Camogie League double header to be streamed live WATCH: “Everyone is fighting so hard to get on” – Pat Ryan on competitive camogie squads Billy Lee names strong Limerick side to take on Wicklow in crucial Division 3 clash
DES MOINES — The number of first-time unemployment claims dropped again last week.Iowa Workforce Development reports the new claims were 13,040. That’s down by nearly 2,800 from the previous week. The number of continuing weekly unemployment claims was 187,375 — which is down by nearly 2,700 — and is the first drop in ongoing claims in nine-weeks.Manufacturing saw the most new claims last week with 4,679. Self-employed saw 1,251 and Health Care and Social Assistance saw 1,216 new claims.