Chenango Valley’s Topa gets call to the show

first_img(WBNG) — Chenango Valley graduate Justin Topa may be close to making his Major League Baseball debut after he was recalled by the Milwaukee Brewers from the team’s alternate training site. Topa was drafted in the 17th round of the 2013 MLB Draft by the Pittsburgh Pirates. Topa had a 2.63 ERA in Double-A last summer with 22 strikeouts. He was added to the Brewers 60-man roster on July 28. last_img

In high school, Nicky Galasso used his mother’s death as motivation to become the best player in Long Island history. Two foot injuries have slowed his college career, but now that he’s healthy at Syracuse, he’s ready for HIS RETURN

first_imgIt doesn’t bother Nicky Galasso when the turf field at his old high school is being used. That’s the field where he made his name, but on the other side of the tennis courts is a grass field that suits him just fine. The one that reads “In memory of Cindy Galasso” in blue and gold letters on the scoreboard. There he begins his work. Fifty shots lefty, planting off of his right leg — which features a tattoo of the initials “CG” on the calf — and then 50 shots right-handed. Back on the West Islip (N.Y.) High School turf field is where Nicky put together the best high school lacrosse career in Long Island history. He left the Lions as a four-time state champion, the Long Island record holder in points, and the No. 1 recruit in the country in the Class of 2010, with the University of North Carolina his next destination.AdvertisementThis is placeholder textBut in his sophomore season with the Tar Heels, a stress fracture in his left foot proved that the seemingly untouchable Nicky was human. He transferred to Syracuse before last year for a fresh start, but another stress fracture ended his season before it began.He has a legacy to restore, and the road back goes through the field that bears his mother’s name — every morning last summer around 9 a.m. for an hour and a half. “At the end of the day, I think I’m making her proud just by being in college, going on with my life and being successful because that’s what she really wants,” he said. “I wish she could be here for it, but she’s up there looking down on me. I know she’s there.”They called him “the Hemorrhoid.” He’d try sleeping over at his friends’ houses, but would end up calling her at 1 or 2 a.m. to come pick him up. He couldn’t do it.That’s how inseparable Nicky Galasso and his mother were.And that’s how it had to be — someone had to protect him from his four older brothers. When his brother Vinny got too rough with Nicky, Cindy’s screams were soon to follow.“Get off your brother! What are you doing? He’s a baby!”Courtesy of the Galasso familyNicky poses with his mother Cindy after making his holy communion. He was nicknamed “the Hemerrhoid” because of how attached he was to his mother.That was the physical, competitive nature of the Galasso brothers. Everything was a game to the five boys.In their giant living room, they’d play every sport imaginable. Socks with duct tape became dodge balls. When it was too cold outside, the room became a whiffle ball field. The floor would be covered in pillows and couch cushions for tackle football.Somehow, no major bones were broken. There were bloody noses, but windows, walls and a fireplace were the only casualties. And it was every man — or boy — for himself. “His older brothers would toss us around all over the place,” said Tom Clifford, Nicky’s longtime friend and high school teammate. “It hurt, but it made us better because they wouldn’t give us anything. They wouldn’t let us win. They made us earn it.” Courtesy of Andrew HodgsonSal Galasso (in blue) and his father Daniel (right) hold Cindy Galasso’s grandson on top of her grave.But the brothers understand that their lacrosse days are behind them, so they live vicariously through Nicky and will do whatever they can to get him back to the player that made jaws drop on the turf field. When Nicky isn’t alone at the grass field at West Islip High School, his brothers are often there with him. The brothers hit him with passes. They laugh, tell stories and shoot around. It’s always lighthearted.But every once in a while, one of the brothers will peek at the scoreboard with their mother’s name, then feed their baby brother with a pass so he can fire another shot. Courtesy of the Galasso familyThe Galasso brothers are within 8 years of each other and their competitive natures have pushed each other throughout their lives.Before a growth spurt shot Nicky up to his now-6-foot frame, he admits he was a “little chubster.”So the boys piled into the oldest brother Sal’s mint blue 1999 Toyota Camry station wagon with chrome hubcaps, and followed Nicky in it as he ran around the block to push him to lose the excess fat.“He never stopped trying to keep up with us,” said Sal Galasso, who is 8 years older than Nicky. “When he got out on the field as a young kid, it was obvious that he was leaps and bounds more aggressive than everybody else.”Years before Nicky would win four state titles as a West Islip Lion, he played on a West Islip travel team with kids 1 and 2 years older than him that would travel to about six out-of-state tournaments a summer.They’d play groups of select players from entire regions, and their squad from the “little town” of West Islip would beat them.But when they traveled, Nicky needed to do so with his friends and their parents, or with coach Scott Craig, who coached all the Galasso kids at West Islip. Nicky’s mom was battling lung cancer and a brain tumor. Cindy and Daniel Galasso continually told their boys she was getting better, even though it wasn’t the truth. Nicky doesn’t recall much from that time. He was just 12. He didn’t know much about cancer. But at 4 a.m. on Aug. 27, 2004, Nicky woke up to the sound of his brothers crying. When they came over to hug him, he knew.Cindy had died at the age of 44. We were all just so broken that you had no choice but to completely rely on each other.Sal Galasso Comments Courtesy of the Galasso familyFrom left to right, Sal, Vinny, Nicky, Victor, Joey Finnegan and Danny Galasso stand on the West Islip turf field after the 2010 graduation ceremony.The Sharpies came out for every high school lacrosse game Nicky played in. All of his teammates would sit in a line before the game, and the appointed players would scribble “CG” on the right leg of their teammates. “It unified us,” said Joey Finnegan, Nicky’s best friend and high school teammate. “Even if you didn’t know her, you still felt like a part of that family.”They each brought her legacy to the field, but it was Nicky who channeled it best into his performance. It gave him a unique edge that no opponent could match. Each goal he scored in high school was followed by a point to the sky — a ritual he still practices today. Her passing just motivated me to do the best and be the best I could be. I do everything for her. Whatever I do, it’s all for her.Nicky GalassoIn just seventh grade, people throughout West Islip were predicting he’d be the best lacrosse player the town had ever seen.On the field, he had everything. Phenomenal vision to see what was happening before it did. Physicality to attack the cage and a perpetual knack for playmaking. A dedicated work ethic off the field, all with the humility and goofiness not always seen in a superstar.“He had gifts that other people don’t get,” his father said.Courtesy of Andrew HodgsonNicky Galasso celebrates during a West Islip Lions game. In his high school career, Galasso won four New York state championships and set the record for most points scored in Long Island history.In just eighth grade, Craig called him up to the varsity team — and he’d go on to win back-to-back titles, crying in celebration after both with his brother Vinny. And in his last game wearing a Lions jersey, he broke the Long Island record for points with a one-goal, seven-assist performance to capture his fourth state title.I don’t think he wanted to let my mom down and he didn’t want to let us down. He just did it out of sheer fear of letting people down.Sal GalassoHis high school success led him to UNC, where he led the Tar Heels with 56 points in his first season, ranking fourth in the nation in assists and claiming the Atlantic Coast Conference’s Freshman of the Year award.He honored his mother by getting her initials tattooed on his right calf once he got to UNC, but the difficult moments still surfaced. Being nine hours away from home didn’t make it any easier. But UNC head coach Joe Breschi was there for him. In 2004, Breschi lost his 3-year-old son in a freak parking lot accident. So when Mother’s Day or Aug. 27 came around, Nicky would seek comfort by going to the office of someone who knew what he was feeling.“It just became natural for us to have that connection,” Breschi said, “and I think it was a helpful way for him to get through it, and in a way it was certainly helpful for me as well.“But at times you need that support system to battle through those moments, and that’s what we did for each other.”Nicky tried playing through a stress fracture in his left foot in his sophomore year, but surgery was the best option. And when he started having doubts about what his role would be upon his return, he decided that transferring to Syracuse was best for him. When he got to Syracuse, though, another stress fracture kept him sidelined. It was back to square one for Nicky, but he battled through that rehabilitation process, just as he did the year before.He finally made his debut for the Orange — with his dad and Vinny eight rows back from the SU bench — against Maryland in the Carrier Dome on Saturday. “(UNC) gets a great recruiting class every year, certain people come in and things change after a while,” Nicky said. “I just felt that I needed to make a change and I’m happy I chose where I chose.”Don’t think the Galasso boys are any less competitive than they were years ago.There’s one streetlight in front of Sal’s West Islip home, but they still have spontaneous egg tosses at night once his kids are put to bed. The brothers still dare each other to clear a 4-foot fence, or hit a sign with a snowball.The competition never ends, even as life moves on. Courtesy of the Galasso familyThe Galasso family suits up at a West Islip alumni lacrosse event.Their father slept in Nicky’s bedroom nearly every night for a month straight after Cindy’s death, always assuring him that everything would be OK as a James Taylor CD soothed them until they fell asleep.One morning, Nicky woke up and looked into the sky. The sun was out, but it was accompanied by a solitary star.“That’s a sign, Bud,” his father told him.Cindy was always “Aunt Cindy” to her sons’ friends.Nicky remembers living with as many as 12 or 13 people in their house once, because his mom opened it up to anyone who needed it.She had one of the biggest hearts Nicky’s ever known, working as both a front desk attendant at West Islip High School and as an assistant little league football coach.In addition to the field named after her, her initials were painted in the football team’s hallway tunnel. And soon, calligraphy of her initials became a West Islip tradition. Published on February 26, 2014 at 2:38 am Contact Phil: [email protected] | @PhilDAbb,Cancel replyYou must be logged in to post a comment.last_img read more

‘Accra Works out’ comes off May 31

first_imgAccra Works Out, the monthly ‘keep-fit’ exercise which is held on the last Saturday of each month, will come off tomorrow Saturday 31, 2014 on the Multi-Purpose Court of the Accra Sports Stadium between 7am and 9am.As usual participants will have experts advice on how best to stay fit throughout the month without any problems as doctors and health fitness experts will be in attendance for the event which promises to see a higher patronage than the last edition last month.Participants get to interact with others from various corporate institutions after being led by qualified instructors through aerobics.They also get to be screened by medical personnel for blood pressure and weight. There would also be weight loss/ management tips as well as Dietary advice.Accra Works Out is a free monthly workout session organized by Primeval Media Ghana Limited, a sports event management company in Accra, under the auspices of the National Sports Authority.They brokered the US 1.2m deal between uniBank Ghana Limited and GFA for the Black Stars and also brokered deals which saw Coach Kwesi Appiah and Asamoah Gyan, Head Coach and Captain of the Black Stars respectively, become brand ambassadors of uniBank. Primeval Media were the organizers of the first ever Ghana Golf Awards Nite in December 2013 at the Events Haven of the Trade Fair Site in Accra.And as pacesetters of events, Primeval successfully organized the first ever Farewell Match for the Black Stars of Ghana who left the shores of the country for the 2014 World Cup in Brazil last Saturday.last_img read more

Hastings, Elmore top 30th Nelson Cyswog’n’ Fun

first_imgStephen Hastings of Calgary and Malindi Elmore of Kelowna breezed over the  picturesque Heritage City triathlon course to capture the top prizes in the respective men’s and women’s division at the 30th annual Cyswog’n’Fun Sunday at Lakeside Park.Hastings finished under two hours, crossing the finish line at Lakeside Park in a time of one hour, 56.15 minutes.Elmore, who had hoped to be in London at the Summer Games competing for Canada but is happy to have Nelson as her second choice, was the top female as the Okanagan triathlete came in at 2:12.53.Elmore, a track specialist, failed to make the Canadian Olympic standard and was not promoted to Canada’s Track team even though the 32-year-old won Nationals in her event this year.Yes I’d say I’m happy . . . because it’s always nice to win,” Elmore said after cooling down from the race in the transition area.”It was a fun course today. It was a little hilly, tough run . . . tough swim.”Joe Radench of Grande Prairie, Alta, was second behind Hastings with Eddie Smith of Penticton third.Kyle Moore of Calgary was fourth with Seth Bitting of Rosslad coming in as the top local in fifth. Defending champion Dallas Cain of Rossland did not enter the 2012 race.Sarah MacArthur of Calgary was second behind Elmore.The Okanagan’s Elmore, openly admitting the swim is not her strength, passed MacArthur at the five kilometer mark on the run to grab the women’s crown.Top local athletes in the Olympic distance race were Ron Sherman in the men’s and Denise Uhrynuk for the women.Long course racers jumped into the waters of Kootenay Lake at 8 a.m. for the 1500 meter swim along the Nelson waterfront.Stage two is the 39 km cycle along beautiful Kootenay Lake to Kokanee Park and back before completing the race with the 10 km run along the waterfront, around Anderson Street and then Nelson Avenue and across the orange bridge onto the rolling hills of Johnstone Road.In the sprint event — 500 meters swim, 22 km ride and five km run — Graham Hood of Kelowna came in first ahead of Kirk Vandeweghe of Penticton.The Locke boys — Julian and Peter— finished third and fourth with Duncan Banks of Penticton and John DeVries of Nelson fifth and sixth, respectively.Stacy Osmond of Quesnel was the top female short course winner.Jennifer Koga of Kelowna was second and Kathryn Noiles of Nelson third in women’s short course.Team Caron won the Olympic Distance race over Tachophillics while Team Yolo topped Under 16 Division and Team Stupar won the Open division.The race attracted more than 300 competitors for the 30th annual event, which, once again, was held under sunny skies.last_img read more

Mallard’s Team of the Week — Students from Wildflower, South Nelson and Trafalgar

first_imgMallard’s Source for Sports would like to salute the work of the students with Team of the Week honours.Prior to the classes hitting the streets, students stopped for a team photo by Madeleine Guenette. Three Kootenay Lake schools banded together to raise awareness for Earth Day 2013.Students from Wildflower, South Nelson and Trafalgar took to the streets of Nelson to stencil warnings on storm drains and pick up garbage on streets, tracks and parks in the city.last_img


first_imgKOSTA HRONIS, PART OWNER, TALCO: “When we saw the early fractions we felt pretty good, and we’re happy that this win pays his fee for the Breeders’ Cup (Mile at Keeneland on Oct. 31). He was first or second in his last four races and he got the pace today.” TYLER BAZE, MIDNIGHT STORM, SECOND: “He didn’t handle that grass at all, he couldn’t really get a hold of it. I’m still very proud of the way he ran; he never threw in the towel.” TRAINER QUOTES JOCKEY QUOTES JOSE LEZCANO, SEEK AGAIN, THIRD: “My horse just didn’t do it today. I tried to keep up with Talco and couldn’t.”             NOTES: Under the enhancements of the Challenge series, Breeders’ Cup Limited will pay the $40,000 entry fee of the Shoemaker Mile winner to start in the Mile if that horse is nominated to the Breeders’ Cup program by Oct. 19, the Pre-Entry deadline. Breeders’ Cup is providing all North American connections of horses based outside of Kentucky a $10,000 travel allowance to start in the Championships. Winning owners Hronis Racing LLC are from Delano, CA.center_img LARRY BENAVIDEZ, ASSISTANT TO JOHN SADLER, TALCO, WINNER: “After the first quarter mile, we were smiling, especially since the grass looked a little longer than normal. It was a big win. We just kind of wanted them to go fast up front, and we figured the one (Winning Prize) was going to go, with the blinkers on. Finally the race played out like it looked on paper and this horse is in top form right now.” RAFAEL BEJARANO, TALCO, WINNER: “When I came to the stretch, I knew Tyler (Baze, on Midnight Storm) still had a lot of horse. My horse gave me such a big kick off the turn, we were able to challenge him right away and then we outran him to the finish. The whole key to winning today was being able to stay inside around the far turn and really kicking well.“The turf is really soft and deep. I let him break good and I didn’t want him too far back. I saw that the pace was a little slow, for this kind of race, for these horses, so I didn’t want to be too far off the pace.” -30- FLAVIEN PRAT, BAL A BALI, FIFTH: “I had a good trip . . . I was pretty good on the last turn and I asked him and he didn’t answer . . . We beat the winner the last time so I don’t know; he was not good today.”last_img read more

Five questions for Raiders vs. Cardinals

first_imgYou want answers?After preparing for Thursday night’s road game against the Arizona Cardinals with two walkthroughs and a single practice, it’s better to focus on the questions which face the Raiders as they hit the midway point of the exhibition season.1. Can the Raiders get Derek Carr in and out of the game without a scratch?Coach Jon Gruden said Wednesday Carr would play “a little” which is at least a mild surprise. As has been made clear on “Hard Knocks,” the idea of “protecting the …last_img

Claude Moshiywa wins Comrades

first_img3 June 2013Claude Moshiywa became the first South African winner of the Comrades Marathon’s “up run” in 21 years when he claimed victory in the 88th running of the world famous ultra-marathon in Pietermaritzburg on Sunday.The last South African winner of the Durban to Pietermaritzburg version of the Comrades had been Jetman Msuthu in 1992.Conditions were extremely testing – a blustery Berg wind and a hot temperature – for the 90-kilometre epic, and this had a strong effect on the field, especially in the latter part of the race.Moshiywa, third in 2011 and ninth last year, handled them best to take victory in five hours, 32 minutes and eight seconds, well clear of six-time Swiss Alpine Marathon champion Jonas Buud, who came home in second place in five hours, 41 minutes and 20 seconds. The Swede had finished fourth in the previous “up run” in 2011.“I can’t describe the feeling,” Moshiywa told news agency Sapa after securing victory.“I was so excited when I reached the final stretch and it means a lot to have done it after so many years.”ExcitementMoshiywa was not alone in his excitement along the final stretch as a packed crowd cheered the South African runner home, carrying him along a corridor of sound into the finish at the Pietermaritzburg Oval in Alexandra Park.Lesotho’s Mpesela Ntlosoeu completed the top three, with Ludwick Mamabolo coming home in fourth place. The defending champion’s place in the race had been uncertain until he was cleared of a doping charge only a month before the event.Three-time winner, Zimbabwe’s Stephen Muzhingi, finished in tenth place. He had struggled with a calf injury in the lead-up to the race and so declared himself very satisfied with his result, given the challenges he had faced in preparing for the event.The women’s race, as it has been so many times in the past, was dominated by the Nurgalieva twins, Elena and Olesya.Elena managed to open a small lead on Olesya late in the race to take her eighth victory in six hours, 27 minutes and eight seconds, 58 seconds clear of her sister.Irina Antropova finished third in six hours, 44 minutes and 36 seconds to make it a 1-2-3 for Russia.It was Elena Nurgalieva’s fourth Comrades’ title in succession, following her sister’s win in 2009.The last time an athlete other than one of the Nurgalievas won the Comrades Marathon was way back in 2005 when Tatyana Zhirkova took victory. Russia’s winning streak is now at 11 years.The leading South African runner was Charne Bosman, who in her very first Comrades, was edged out of fourth place by Britain’s Joasia Zakrzewski, who finished just six seconds ahead of Bosman in six hours, 53 minutes and 28 seconds.Kerry Koen, South Africa’s leading finisher with sixth place in 2012, finished ninth on Sunday.RESULTSMenClaude Moshiywa (RSA) 5:32:08Jonas Buud (Swe) 5:41:20Mpesela Ntlosoeu (Les) 5:34:37Ludwick Mamabolo (RSA) 5:45:48Johannes Kekana (RSA) 5:46:26Henry Moyo (Mal) 5:46:51Joseph Mphuthi (RSA) 5:47:59Mike Fokoroni (Zim) 5:50:18Rufus Photo (RSA) 5:51:51Stephen Muzhingi (Zim) 5:52:37WomenElena Nurgalieva (Rus) 6:27:08Olesya Nurgalieva (Rus) 6:28:06Irina Antropova (Rus) 6:44:36Joasia Zakrzewski (GBR) 6:53:28Charne Bosman (RSA) 6:53:34Marina Zhalybina (Rus) 6:56:54Holly Rush (GBR) 7:04:20Melanie van Rooyen (RSA) 7:08:09Kerry Koen 7:15:06 (RSA)Julanie Basson 7:21:01 (RSA)Would you like to use this article in your publication or on your website? See: Using SAinfo materiallast_img read more

One picture of corn that almost broke the Internet

first_imgShare Facebook Twitter Google + LinkedIn Pinterest I’ll admit it, one of the things on my bucket list is for something I post to go “viral.” That is, to be shared a gazillion times on the internet and be known as that guy that did the worst belly smacker off of the high dive in history, or caught the ghost of Elvis during a selfie or witnessed a TRIPLE rainbow (what does it mean?!). Who wouldn’t want their 15 minutes of fame, which is more common in our online world, yet just as fleeting?Michelle Gigger, a farmer and teacher of ag and biology, found herself in the likeness of other Internet stars when she posted a picture on social media of an ear of corn being gluttonously devoured by a few very hungry insects. The caption read “Here people, this is your organic, Non-GMO, pesticide free corn. Enjoy! Would you like salt?”So far, Gigger’s picture has been shared 1,300 times alone on Twitter, made a jump to multiple Facebook pages where one page alone has had 500,000 engagements due to the quippy snapshot. Gigger never wanted this kind of attention. When she posted the pic, she admits she only expected her usual followers to see it.Then began the barrage of insults and name calling and adjectives that would make the devil blush. Gigger wrote in a follow up post about why she chose to post that picture and caption.“Quite simply I am sarcastic with a twisted sense of humor.  I am also pro biotechnology, but I do support all aspects of agriculture. We are privileged enough to have options in our food supply.  The seeds I had used were non-GMO and I had also planted a variety of corn. The corn in question was a sweet corn varietal that had constantly required extra tending. I was using organic methods of fertilizing, weed control, and had inter-cropped in a method I had found worked for me that helped prevent pests. Honestly, I would have normally sprayed, but I was out of town at the correct times. While harvesting all varietals of corn Sunday morning I noticed much of the corn in question had an infestation, none of the other corn did.”Gigger engaged in some really great conversations because of her controversial post and received quite a few pictures of beautiful looking organic corn from all over the country. She says that is one of the positive takeaways from her experience.“I jokingly say I feel like the Katniss Everdeen of the conventional farming movement. The theme of my internet notoriety has been this: how we discuss subjects on social media matters. Should I have used a different caption? That’s a matter of opinion. I still find what I wrote funny, and it has sparked debate, which is great.  Have I gotten in heated discussions about it? Hell, yeah. I have opinions and I will defend them. Is it OK for people to critique me? Absolutely. While I am a small scale farmer, there is no ‘hobby’ about my farm.  If my crop fails, my income fails. If the extra produce and fruit I produce for my family fails, I fail, and my kids don’t eat as well as they could. I hold a huge stake in the success of agriculture and my farm.”Besides farming,  Gigger teaches. She is currently a science teacher and for seven years she was an Agriculture Teacher/ FFA Advisor in California. She has baccalaureate degrees in agriculture and science and had the privilege of working on game changing Transgenics projects in the late 1990s at UC Davis. Although Gigger has spent many hours in the classroom, both as the pupil and the teacher, this one Twitter post has given her an entirely new lesson.“My final thought I have after this experience. If you ever have a viral post: thicken your skin.”Read more from Gigger’s blog, East Of The Mountains.last_img read more